Saturday, August 25, 2012

More Misting on Canvas

Hi everyone,  I hope you're not tired of hearing me talk about the fun stuff you can do with your mists and canvas. Today I have three fun variations to show you that are really easy, and give great effects. 

The first is using Chipboard shapes as masks:


I began each page by misting with Perfect Pearls Mist in Biscotti. I love the sparkle this gave to my base, as well as how it primed  the surface to allow the new colours I added to seep in. Try experimenting on dry canvas versus canvas misted with a light base colour or water. 

Arrange your shapes, mist, re-arrange your shapes, or remove some and add new ones, and mist again. You can keep layering and playing with colours until you reach the look you want. I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist (Timberline, Decadence, and Pomegranate). When all was dry, I highlighted some of the shapes using Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze ( Sugar Cane).

The next technique uses a plastic stencil, and acrylic gesso. ( If you don't have Gesso, you can try using Acrylic paint, a heavy bodied glue, or anything that might act as a sealant on the canvas).
I just blotted the gesso through the stencil using a stiff brush. 
Once dry, I misted randomly using the same colours as above.


For the last technique , I began on a page that was already primed around the edges with gesso. I started again with the Perfect Pearls, and then added my colours randomly. while the canvas is still wet, sprinkle on some grains of salt. Try anything from fine table salt, to coarse pickling salt. The salt will attract and concentrate colour in areas surrounding it( I used a coarse sea salt). This is a fun, and relatively cheap technique to try.


To add a bit more texture, I added some Glimmer Glaze to the edges of the gesso areas (Pewter). 

It might not look like much now, but layered with photos, and embellishments, This should become a treasured keepsake. 

Have fun creating!
Erin





 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

OMG, that second one is amazing!!! Beautiful erin!

Sherri said...

Love this Erin. I've been dying to get my hands on some Gesso, and try my hand it masking with it. Thanks for the inspiration!