Saturday, December 1, 2012

Packing for Crop, Using Your Stuff.

Happy Saturday!  Let me start by telling you I that I'm a bit forgetful these days. You'll see why that's an issue in a minute...

As a continuation to my last few posts, I'd like to show you how you can further "force" yourself to use some older items you might be overlooking.  A great way to use up things is to pre package kits to bring with you when you go out cropping. ( don't worry, if you like to crop at home you can still do this). If you've kitted it, and it's all you have, you're more likely to find a way to make it work.
 Try to keep your kits to a minimum. It's scary at first, but as you become more used to it, you can often scale back a bit more.

Kitting
I usually use an extra large Ziploc type bag large enough to hold 12 x 12 papers. If you can't fit it in this bag, you don't need it.

I started with new photos from my 2 year old's birthday, and some equally new papers from Studio Calico. Even though the papers were from a winter/Christmas collection, I loved the way the colours and texture matched my photos.  I added some scrap papers from My Little Shoebox, October Afternoon and Kaisercraft. Since two of the patterns had clouds, I decided that was a theme I would run with.
For letters, I chose two shades of corrugated letters from Jillibean Soup, and some older black letters from Pink Paislee.

Next step was to rummage quickly through and see what I had for embellishments that might work with these papers.

I found a few cloud shapes in a package of AC Dear Lizzy chipboard,  and noticed a cute cloud sticker in a pack of AC Amy Tangerine  Remarks Stickers. I then grabbed a card with some coordinating buttons, and more letters that I found.  Try not to overlook an entire package because it has items that don't coordinate; look quickly at each item to see if there is anything you might be able to use.

So this is where my forgetfulness comes in, and how come I know you can use your kits successfully at home or at crop.  As I was leaving for crop Friday night, I grabbed my tool caddy and purse, but left the bag with my kit sitting by the door. I got to crop with nothing to work on! As soon as I got home, I grabbed the bag, and because everything was already together, I was able to throw the layout together in under an hour. I did cheat and change out a set of letters, and added some finishing touches like pins and Dymo journaling, but you can always do that when you get home too (or steal from other kits you've made).



I distressed the corrugated letters with a bit of sandpaper for a two-toned effect that blended better with my background paper. I mixed 2 fonts of Thickers to make the "monster" part of my title; this is a great way to use up leftover letters.


A selection of embellishments all layered up creates a perfect vignette of old and new product.

So if you're looking for ways to stretch your supplies, or just want to break out of the habit of using product from a single collection, making kits may just be the solution for you. For best results however, you should remember to bring them with you.

Erin, Marketing Team Member.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Love all the detail in this post Erin! Awesome LO!

JJ Sobey said...

It came out great girlie - like a great espresso, you're awesome under pressure!