Thursday, July 3, 2014

Product Shuffle - Rubons

I remember playing with rubons in my grand-mother's house when I was a kid.  We had a scene and all these little people and accents that we got to add using our sheet of rubons.  I always get a little nostalgic when I use them.  I love how you can add them over different layers without hiding what is underneath.  They are so very cool.  Check out the LCOM store for a few that we have in stock
Along with rubons, I played with some Simple Stories DIY Boutique.  The black and the bright colors attracted me to this collection the minute I saw it. 
How do you use your rubons usually? I basically use them like I would a sticker - as an accent on my layout.  Did you know that most rubons resist ink?  So you could use them as a sticky mask!  That is exactly what I did!
 
Fist I placed the white rubon on my background paper.  Then using a sponge and some black ink I rubbed the ink onto the rubon and paper. 
I then used a rubber eraser to remove the rubon revealing the background color exposed. Just like any masking technique!  I find you can get away with more intricate masking using rubons, plus I get a cleaner, crisper  image.  
I used other rubon as is on the layout - one under the title and another one of a butterfly on the other side of the picture.  I just love how rubons simply blend into the paper.  

Here is the finished project.  The picture is a little blurry as it was taken in a dark restaurant with my daughter during our monthly date night. 
Along with the Simple Stories DIY boutique paper and stickers, I used Kaisercraft Rubons, CTMH rubons, cardstock and waxy twine, Prima flowers, American Crafts alpha sticker, and Fancy Pant's As You Wish Ephemera pack and paper. 
I hope you like this week's Product Shuffle.  I hope to see you Saturday morning for a sketch team reveal.  Have an awesom day!

No comments: